Monday, May 11, 2009

Think About It...

"...whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." - Philippians 4:8 (ESV)

We are bombarded with messages that drag us down. Everyday, we see commercials on television and hear ads on radio that make us feel somehow inferior. If I would only use the shampoo they're advertising, my hair would be soft and radiant and wave just right in the wind. If I drove a particular automobile, I would have the freedom I've always wanted. If I change my deodorant, I'd get the beauiful model I think I want. If I sign up for this business "opportunity," I'll be rich beyond my wildest dreams!! Their message: you are inadequate. But, for only twelve easy payments of $--.--, we can give you the life you deserve, the ie you always dreamed of, a way out of your dreary existence...

Baloney.

Much of what is crammed down our throats by the media is designed to make us feel inadequate. If we feel bad enough about ourselves, perhaps buying what they're selling will make us feel better.

Spending hard earned money on goodies to make us feel better may give us a temporary boost (like the heady buzz from cappasnappacinalatte grande with whip). But, in the end, it won't satisfy. If you want to "feel better," ponder what is good in life. Be thankful for what God has done. Put down the phone and the credit card and grab your Bible. Read - better yet, absorb - God's promises for your life. Soak in the richness of His grace and mercy and love. Don't get tripped up by your perceived failures or short-falls. Ponder what is true, good and beautiful. See yourself as Christ sees you, not as some ad agency says you should look like.

No comments: