Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Perspective

On the way to work this morning, one of the local Christian radio stations was playing an old interview with Bill Bright, who was talking about the unimaginable majesty of Heaven, and the unshakable certainty of our place there as believers.

As I was running errands during lunch, I listened to James Dobson interviewing Steven Curtis Chapman. They were discussing the death of his five year old daughter year ago, and his assurance that she is in Heaven.

Dr. Dobson hammered this all home for me when he commented that many Christians are so so so focused on the here and now, when really eternity should be our focus. The day is going to come when all this world will fade away: the pains, the worries, the doubts, the fears... What is going to matter is eternity. Not the bills. Not the kids. Not whatever we strive for on this earth. Heaven is what matters.

Ponder that. It should put our troubles and anxieties into perspective. Focus on the vital, and ask God to handle it all.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." - John 14:1-3 (NIV)

No comments: