Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Quiet Down and Loosen Up

I find myself often praying for answers. "God, why this?" "God, why not that?" "Lord, please, show me the path..." As I was praying this morning, the Lord reminded me of Psalm 46:10:

"Be still, and know that I am God..."

The word still comes from the Hebrew "râphâh" (רפה), which means to rest, relax, quiet oneself or, more literally, to loosen up. This comes from the same psalm that opens, "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear..." (Psalm 46:1-2a, NIV).

Perhaps God is trying to teach us something here. Maybe it's time to ease up on trying to be in control of every little facet of life and let Him have the reigns. Maybe instead of fretting about the future, we should live in the here and now and leave what lies ahead to God.

Maybe this is the answer to all the worries that plague us.

When we (or someone we know) gets bad news from the doctor...
“Be still and know that I am God.”

When life isn't going quite as planned...
“Be still and know that I am God.”

When the job market isn't what we hoped for...
“Be still and know that I am God.”

When the month outlasts the money...
“Be still and know that I am God.”

When the family (or friends or co-workers) are giving you grief...
“Be still and know that I am God.”

When the kids are giving you grief...
“Be still and know that I am God.”

Whenever anything goes sour or awry or circumstances become difficult if not near-impossible to bear...
“Be still and know that I am God.”

Stillness is vital, because when we let go of the worries and stresses in life, we are unblocked and better able to hear from God. In stillness with God, we find we don't necessarily need the answers, we just need the Lord.

© 2008 by Chris Courtney. All rights reserved. Please share this message with someone today, and visit our website: http://contemplativeencourager.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this timely reminder. He is still God. A friend of mine often says...I can't. God can. So I am going to let Him. She and I were talking yesterday and I shared something and she reminded me of her saying and then your blog. I think maybe God is trying to get something through to me here.
Hugs,
Lori